Google is Making Some Big Changes. Will Your Website Be a Victim?

Google is Making Some Big Changes. Will Your Website Be a Victim?

2 Simple Things Your Site Can Do to Survive

 

Google will be making some huge changes to their search engine, which will strongly affect how it ranks mobile pages. If your business benefits in anyway from generating web traffic, I would suggest that you be prepared. Knowledge is your first and best weapon!
 

Phone1. No More “Mobile Friendly”

In 2014 Google started to label web sites as mobile friendly in order to display which pages were easily viewed on phones and tablets. With so many sites now adhering to these standards, Google has now decided to drop this label. About 85% of sites are now considered mobile friendly which are automatically given priority to the search engines. This means that the remaining 15% will be forced to change or die the slow death of obscurity.

 
 
 
 
Listed are some guidelines to help protect your site from these changes:

  • Avoid software the doesn’t work on mobile devices like flash
  • Make sure that your site is responsive. These days most are but under the chance that you haven’t updated your site in a while, this should be a priority.
  • Use fonts large enough to see without zooming in.

 
 

Phone22. Goodbye Interstitials

What exactly are interstitials you ask? Interstitials are medium to full sized ads that appear before the desired webpage. These usually appear in the form of a pop up or splash ads and typically occur on the homepage. Because these interstitials block key information, Google’s new rules demote these sites. Fortunately, these demotions will occur by page and not by entire site. Therefore, if you really want to us a popup, you can designate a page to place it that you wouldn’t mind taking the Google demotion. Placing a pop up on a lead or landing page is not a bad idea either (we’ll get to landing pages another time).

 

So now you know what to do with your site to prepare for these changes! They go into effect in 2017. Be ready! Don’t let your site be a victim!

The Mad Designer

I am a Mad Designer; meaning I create abominations that come to life and take over your business. I am also the Owner and Lead creative director of SinVista Creations LLC, a graphic design and multi-media firm. My role in this company has ranged from Logo/web design to finance/accounting to marketing strategies. This experience has triggered my interest in the area of business leadership and how my design sense can offer an innovation approach to business.

No Comments

Post a Comment